Matthew's Big Blog of Adventure!

Wednesday, December 20

Back Home with my Organ Shoes

Hey guys!

Practice room organThis semester was great! Even though it was the toughest one yet, I felt the most confident during finals than I ever have. Organ was, of course, wonderful. Next semester I plan to take the second semester of private, half hour lessons. Tomorrow, in the midst of Christmas shopping, I plan to stop at the church and practice for a little while, and then dicker around with one of the old pianos. Piano Tuning and Repair class gave a lot of useful information that I think will help me get some of the old pianos in the fellowship hall and nursery sounding better.

Someone left a comment asking what organ shoes are. Organ shoes are like dress shoes. They are made of a thin leather and are designed to fit on top of the B and C pedals in the big space between the black keys. My normal dress shoes are way too wide for that. This spot in the pedalboard gives the organist a "handy" reference that he can use to find any note on the pedalboard by touch. (When you're in the middle of a piece, the last thing you want to have to do is look down at your feet!) My organ shoes also have a soft felt bottom. I think this is both to achieve a good level of traction and also to avoid scuffing the pedals.

Organ ShoesOrgan shoes have felt on the bottoms


It's really hard to walk around in these shoes! The girls taking organ say that high heels are worse and I don't know what I'm talking about. In any case, you wouldn't want to wear your organ shoes around too much away from the organ because they'd get dirty and damaged very quickly.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • hi Matthew,

    Just dropping by to say HI!!!!!
    Hope your emester goes well and good luck with Hymn keyboard Skill. Hohohoho.

    BTW, u did a great job at you Senior Recital

    GBU

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 AM  

  • Hi.

    I am an organist with wide feet (EEEE!) Any tips for extra wide organ shoes, or do I fins dress shoes that fit and convert? I have managed to compensate for my fat feet (to some extent) but my old shoes are disintegrating. Ideas?

    By Anonymous Richard Hicks, at 10:07 PM  

  • Не очень люблю такие тексты %:(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home