Matthew's Big Blog of Adventure!

Saturday, May 21

Back!

Sorry for the long silence! The Spring semester was absolutely crazy! Grades are looking good except for Hymn Keyboard Skills. *bites fingernails* I'm praying really hard for the end of the semester grade report that's supposed to arrive sometime in the mail. Usually, instead of being worried about having passed a class, I'm worrying about losing my 'A'. Ah well, everyone always says college lets you experience new things. ;)

Canadian MargarineOne truly learns new things each day. Tonight, I learned that it is illegal to artificially "colour" margarine in Canada. A fascinating history of Canada's conflicted relationship with margarine tells all. Interestingly, margarine was banned until 1948 by an apparently effective block of dairy farmers who foretold a bleak future of milk-shortages if the pasty yellow chemical stuff were ever allowed within Canada's borders.

Anyhoo, starting May 29, I will be participating in the University of South Carolina's Computer Science Department's summer internship program. I'm not sure exactly which project I'm working on yet -- don't have the info yet, but I've already faxed in my application to get Internet access in the dormitory. ;)

Looking around online for directions getting there sure was fun! Google has a great new feature called Google Maps that lets you see road maps all over the US in excruciating detail. They even have maps of my neighborhood! The site lets you plan trips like Mapquest, but the interface looks much cleaner and is easier and faster to use too since you can just click and drag the map around in the window instead of clicking on edge arrows and waiting for it to load. One last cool feature lets you instantly overlay satellite maps over the area you are looking at. It zooms in quite nicely to the point that you can see the cars that were zooming along on the Interstate when the satellite photo was shot.

Tonight we ate at my little sister Charlotte's graduation reception dinner. It was very nice. The location, First Baptist Church of Evans, is absolutely huge. The grounds of the church campus are very nice. The CSRA-Home Education Assocation's graduations have been so big that we've been having trouble finding places large enough to rent. I think the year I graduated, we had 53 graduates. Even at First Baptist it's standing room only what with all the immediate families, extended relatives, and goodness knows how many friends (what about socialization my foot). Well, just 12 hours until the ceremony, so I should get to sleep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home